News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

How is vertical clearance calculated?

Started by magnus, March 08, 2021, 02:09:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magnus

Is it calculated from the top of the lower rails to the bottom of the upper roadbed, blue in the attached pic, or is it from the bottom of the lower roadbed to the bottom of upper roadbed, red in the attached pic?

The clearance calculation seems to be based on the setting of Height, which seems to be calculated as the red option in "Smooth Slope". My tracks are 5.5mm from bottom of roadbed to top of the rails (Fleischmann Profi), so if it is red option, I need to subtract 5.5mm to get the actual clearance?

And if I add a bridge, I need to also subtract the height of said bridge to the Height I set to get actual clearance?

Or is it all relative, so I can choose the red or the blue pill - sorry, option - and I will live with that choice and be ignorant about other calculations?

But how "Slope Percentages" is calculated would have significant impact on the choice I made?

(I understand this is a new feature (and it's a very good feature) as it is not covered in the manual.)

Sven

From my understanding, it is the 'gross' height, bottom to bottom (the red line). Therefore, for 'net' clearance you need to deduct the track height and any surface it rests on (e.g. wood) including the trackbed.

David

It's bottom to bottom (or top to top) indeed. So you need to take the height of the roadbed and the height of rails into account (and don't forget about the thickness of the underside of the bridge).
David Hoogvorst. Founder and Owner of DRail Software. Creator of AnyRail.

magnus

Thanks David, so that means that the slopes will also be correct, assuming you add the thickness added for bridges.