News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

Small Layout for Bedroom

Started by jbialstock, April 02, 2021, 11:48:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbialstock

Hello,

I live in a situation where the only available space for a layout is approximately 36 inches by 60 inches, as the layout table must stand clear of a closet door that is 36 inches wide when open, in addition to a window located approximately 1m from the adjoining wall.

I have attached two separate track plans, both of which are Atlas code 55 track, gauge N. The first plan is the maximum available space of 36 inches by 60 inches, the second is 33 inches by 55 inches. Also, both plans are twice-around types, the first by means of up-and-over, the second being a figure-eight with one loop folded inside the other at the crossing.

I am looking for ways to make the run longer, while maintaining a minimum 11.25-inch curve radius and conforming to the 36 inches by 60 inches I have been given. As I have limited soldering skill, I will be using crimped connectors for all wiring connections and am not interested in having points on the final layout, however bridges and crossings (the X-shaped tracks) are fine.

Thanks everyone,

Jon

chaz

Hi Jon,

Your first layout is similar to John Allen's classic Gorre and Daphetid. It's been done in N scale in a 2'x4'space, but would be better in a 3'x5' space. Better meaning larger radius track, gentler slopes room for more industries.
MP 525.25 on the Prosser Subdivision of the North Kansas Division of the MOPAC Railroad.

magnus

Yes, I agree it would be very cool to recreate version 1 of John Allen's famous G&D. You could modify your version 1 to be close to that.

John Allen first_g-d_line.pdf

jbialstock

Thanks everyone. The first layout was actually scaled-down from an Atlas H0 plan book, while the second was also scaled-down but also modified to give the appearance of a double main track.

mrsax2000

Can you have the layout on wheels? Or build it so you could flip it on it's side?

Then you could move it out of the way when not in use.

Maybe update the plan to show then entire room (with where doors, windows, furniture are located)?

DHolm

Love the cross over Plan 2?  It might be nice to put a yard at the bottom of the plan.  But you would have the same problem.  One way in and out.  So I just shove back on my main.  Like you, space is hard to find so I bend the rules a little.  Or maybe a forest of some type to make it look bigger.

jbialstock

I was leaning more toward the cross over plan and mounting it on wheels.

jbialstock

This is my latest plan. It's actually an Atlas NTT-5 layout kit, gauge N, Atlas code 65 track. I wasn't sure of where to put the isolation as the attached PDF shows the wiring setup for DC block control with a common rail, the red boxes throughout the plan are isolators. I'm using DCC to run my layout. Couple of questions:

• Do I have the isolators in the correct location for DCC, based on the attached PDF of the Atlas plan?
  • Do I need a common rail on DCC?

Any help is appreciated.