News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

Moving objects between layers

Started by Lazyluap, May 20, 2021, 08:53:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazyluap

Hi,

I'm relatively new to AnyRail, and using it to design my new layout, I'm getting on fine apart from one thing.

I've made a fairly basic error of putting the track on the wrong layer.

I have looked at the help topic for moving objects, but I cannot seem to get it to work.

I have linked a number of track elements together, I have selected the layer to move them to, but I am unable to drag them to the required layer.

Can anybody point me in the right direction to get this to work.

Many Thanks

BadBanana

Firstly, welcome to the forum.  Your first post asks about something that I missed for ages when I started out with AnyRail.

You don't do this by selecting the layer.  You do it by selecting the track pieces that you want to move.  So...

First you select the track pieces, and if the layer or layers that they are currently on is editable (that is shown as Unlocked in the layers table), then you should see a Layer: item on the toolbar/ribbon.  In that you tool should then see a dropdown menu, showing the current layer of the track pieces.  Click the arrow beside the current layer name to expand the layer list to show all of the current named layers.  You should then be able to select a different layer and that layer will then be applied to all of the elements that you had selected.  This works similarly for track items and any other kinds of items in the layout.

kiwi42

I have finally to the end of my designing my LAYOUT, I have dodged THE LAYERS ever since I started using AR, but now I would like to trey LAYERS, so I had a look at my layout and decide to have around 10 layers. So I thought I made the NEW LAYERS LIST to what I wanted to describe the layer that was describing what was in the LAYER.
On finishing making the HEADINGS, I now see every layer has the same as the ORGINAL.
WHAT have I done wrong.
Graeme

BadBanana

Hi Graeme, if I may make a couple of suggestions... 

Firstly, it's generally a good idea to start a separate thread for a new enquiry.  Your issue may be similar to the one above, but depending on what you have or have not done, the advice given may be quite different from that given for an earlier question in the same thread.  Also, if the previous question is still open, it can become much harder for others to follow the discussion since there can be two parallel conversations addressing two different problems in the same thread.

Secondly, it's impossible to know what you have done in detail, and almost impossible for anyone else to make helpful suggestions unless you also attach your layout file - the .any file that you save from AnyRail.  Once we can all see that it will be a lot easier to help you. 

There could be multiple reasons why all your layers look the same.  Either you have copied everything on to every layer, or you have perhaps misunderstood how the layer viewing controls work.  Either way, if you can share your layout on the forum by attaching it to your next post, someone can take a look.  Thanks.

Lazyluap

Quote from: BadBanana on May 20, 2021, 10:51:26 PMFirstly, welcome to the forum.  Your first post asks about something that I missed for ages when I started out with AnyRail.

You don't do this by selecting the layer.  You do it by selecting the track pieces that you want to move.  So...

First you select the track pieces, and if the layer or layers that they are currently on is editable (that is shown as Unlocked in the layers table), then you should see a Layer: item on the toolbar/ribbon.  In that you tool should then see a dropdown menu, showing the current layer of the track pieces.  Click the arrow beside the current layer name to expand the layer list to show all of the current named layers.  You should then be able to select a different layer and that layer will then be applied to all of the elements that you had selected.  This works similarly for track items and any other kinds of items in the layout.

Thanks for the advice Badbanana, all sorted now!

BadBanana

I am glad to help, and pleased that the problem is now solved. :)