News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

Assigning Layers

Started by jhn_plsn, May 23, 2021, 09:47:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jhn_plsn

Two part question;

1. Is it advisable to keep the "top level" (track) active even though the layout is multi level? I assume its set up this way for the purposes of rendering the 3D image.

2. Is there a way to have a section of track active on two levels? For instance showing the same helix on both levels.

Thanks.

JP

BadBanana

The 3D image is rendered based upon the heights of objects, combined with those layers that are selected as visible.  The ordering of the layers in the layer list has no effect on this. 

What I do (every user will have their own preferences) is that I name the layers something like this...
1 - Baseboard
2 - Main line
3 - Branch line
4 - Sidings
5 - Structures
6 - Landscape

The layers are always listed in numeric-alpha order, so this allows me to order them how I like regardless of the name or what they are used for.

There is no way to have the same element (track or any other) appear on two levels at once.  It is easier to put that section of track on a separate layer and then you can view it with whichever other layers you require.

jhn_plsn

Got it. Thanks for the response. I especially like that throw out a solution for a newbie.

BadBanana