News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

Track paln for Huddinge Hill

Started by Huddinge, May 25, 2021, 08:52:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Huddinge

Hello, This is my first try on making a descent railway plan for "dreamlayout".
I'm a Marklin guy living in Sweden so this is drawn with Marklin C-track. The main purpose of
the layout is to have many trains running simultaneasly using Rocrail for automation. I would be very grateful if someone would take the time and have look at it and comment on it, good or bad.
My available space is marked in the file and is 3300mm by 1375mm
best regards Huddinge

magnus

Hej Huddinge!
Ambitious layout, it took me a while to understand it. Looks fun to run, but fairly complex for manual operations. The switching yards will not be easy to operate given that 3 of the 4 yard tracks on the Main level are on the main line. I think you should clearly separate the switching yard from the main line.

I'm not familiar with Rocrail, but it looks interesting.

Some general comments:
* A layout supports a purpose for the train, and it's tricky to critique without knowing what the trains are supposed to do? Passenger or freight? Stations, industries, side spurs, etc. You have a turntable, should I guess stream era? When steam disappeared, turntables disappeared too (mostly). Are you modeling Huddinge ;-)?
* As for the mainline, seems like you have a very long double folded dog bone? But it seems like trains can switch over to the meeting track on the main level before turning into the dog bone around the turntable, is that the idea?
* On the Main level there is a yard on the lower half, but I guess 2 or even 3 of those tracks are for the mainline, although it's not clear? What do you intend here? Is the outer tracks the mainline, if so, why can you switch over between them and only the inner line has access to the yard.
* Why is the right side on the main level all hidden? Seems like you could expose some of it in the center? Would help access.
* You have several spurs that are short and ends abruptly. Does not seem like you can fit an industry there, or a station? Especially on the Main level.
* You have some sharp turns, with slopes, using sectional track. A dangerous combination that often leads to derailment - think vectors in 3 dimensions. Might be better with flex tracks in those situations.
* Several S curves; I see you have a short straight section before the opposite turns, but you might need a longer straight track to avoid problems.
* It is a very big area, will you be able to reach in to the center, especially given the 2/3 fairly narrow levels? Access might be an issue, especially for the fiddle level and main level on the right.
* Seems like you are planning to walk around the table? Will there be access all around? A better use of space might be to build along a wall, but of course that is not always possible.

I assume you are familiar with Marklin of Sweden? He has some good videos on track planning.

Good luck and post your progress!