News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

Help with New Project

Started by kramali, August 19, 2021, 01:29:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kramali

Good Morning Gentlemen.  Scott here.  I'm very excited that I will soon have a dedicated 12 x 24 uninterrupted open space to start a brand new build. 

I need some help picturing what I can do in this large of a space, staring with - where to put the door?  HELP. 

Some background -

I think I am a bit overwhelmed at this good fortune.  This will be #4 lifetime builds. (#1 - N Attic space 12 x 20-10 yrs; #2 O 10x35-10 yrs; #3 HO current build in shed 9 x 14-2 yrs)  and, honestly, I wish I had started HO years ago.  My current setup is in a nice air conditioned shed adjacent to my house.  It's an around the walls with a duckunder (hated) only because that's how I could get the maximum build footage. 

This new space will  not be ready for me to start benchwork for approx. 2-3 months.  It will be a shed again, albeit, purpose-built.  I am already planning on no windows with a single door.  A/C incoming will be high up so as not to interfere with backgrounds.  So - I have a blank canvas!

Issues:

I want to ensure that large steam loco and passenger cars do not look toylike when negotiating curves and derailments are always lessened by large radius curves.  I am thinking generally 22" radius everywhere on mainlines. - Suggestions?

I like the idea of islands so the benchwork is not just around the walls.  I don't know if this size is going to work with islands, but I definitely want to be able to walk in the door and not duck under.  I realize that the benchmark will have to include at least two or more access ports - just because of the radius I want to use.

Any suggestions would be immensely appreciated.  Thanks

The Track Planner

Hi Scott,

I would suggest you go to my website thetrackplanner.com and fill out my questionnaire. I think you'll find the questions insightful.

If you supply me with answers on the questionnaire and a floor plan of the available space, I would gladly (at no charge) give you my suggestions on the best use of the space. Having designed track plans for three decades, professionally for almost ten years, I might be able to give you some valuable advice.

Also, if you review the seven elements I use for a successful track plan (on the front page of the website), I think it will give you an idea of how I approach designing track plans.

Bill - The Track Planner 

kramali

Bill - What can I say!  Thank you so much!!!   I worked with AnyRail yesterday for a few hours and came up with a few ideas but typical of Model railroading, I am sure I have not taken all into account.  I'm taking your suggestions and will be back to you shortly.  Again - thanks

magnus

Scott, Congrats on your space.

In addition to what Bill suggests, I can recommend any model railroad book by the late John Armstrong. They are incredibly insightful on track planning.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Armstrong_(model_railroader)