News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

Any easier way to model subterrain and track beds?

Started by beckerdo, November 01, 2021, 02:12:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beckerdo

Hello, this might be a wish list item, or perhaps you have a simpler way to do this.

I am making a Z-scale trail layout with MTL track. I like to model the subterrain and track beds so I know how many items to buy from Woodland Scenics. Attached is a picture of a portion of the layout.

To figure out how many risers and inclines, I usually add a layer for each. Then I used a colored surface around the track which is shown here in tan. Usually it takes a lot of points to stretch the surface to mimic the curve of the track. Also I like to add a label (shown in green) which shows the length of the incline because they come in 24 inch sections.

Is there anyway to select a number of track pieces and create a track bed which follows the track and is X units larger than the selection? This feature would take less time than my manual effort, follow the track more regularly, and not clutter up the layout with so many control points.

Thanks, beckerdo

David

Perhaps you can use the Trace function. On the SHOW tab, tick 'Trace' and enter a width.
David Hoogvorst. Founder and Owner of DRail Software. Creator of AnyRail.

Nick the Cabin Boy

You could also make a surface, more or less as you are doing now, but take it a step further:

(By the way, I know nothing at all about the track you are using)

Create a section of track that is 24" long. Draw your shape around it. Select surface, then save as object, giving them names to reflect their type, eg 'Sub 2% 12" Straight' or 'Sub Level 12" R6'. This will give you a shape with NO control points. Repeat for curves of various radii. You could also create a set of shapes that are shorter, say, 6" and 12", even use different fill colours for different radii or slopes. If you use a thicker line for the shapes, you could use Line Colour to denote radius and Fill Colour to denote slope.

Draw them all at the same angle, that way you can simply rotate them to line them up on the plan.

Place these shapes "under" your track as required.

Your list of materials will show how many of each shape you need. Add up the lengths and voila!

Cheers,

Nick the Cabin Boy
Soon to move to a bigger cabin, which unfortunately means a new plan!

Elizabeth Grove, South Australia
Building Pottersbridge, a fictional town a little North of London, served by a fictional Heritage Railway, in N

beckerdo

David and Nick. Both of these suggestions are really useful.

I think based upon Nick's suggestions, perhaps creating a Woodland Scenics subterrain library might be helpful.This helps me in my quest to make standard risers and inclines for Z-scale track.

However, these items are all flexible, so they are bendable and cuttable just like flex track.

These ideas help, but I am still soliciting suggestions.

Thanks, beckerdo