News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

Connecting to elevated track

Started by Vintage64, February 24, 2008, 10:55:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vintage64

Is there a way to connect new track to existing track that is not on the "0" elevation? It's rather tedious to set the height for every new element. I hope this is not in the manual  :P

David

No, that option does not exist yet. (Not even in the manual  ;) )
One way to work around this for now is to set the lower limit for the 'visible range' (Tools/Options/View) to the height you want to default the track to.

Another would be to just draw at 0, and elevate all the connected track later.

David.
David Hoogvorst. Founder and Owner of DRail Software. Creator of AnyRail.

Nick the Cabin Boy

Having read David's answer, as a new user, I want to know how to fix a point's height.  My layout is on several levels.  I set all the connection points on the lowest level to 0, then went to set another stretch to 2", with a gradient.  As soon as I did that, all the previous heights changed.  How do I prevent this?
Nick
Elizabeth Grove, South Australia
Building Pottersbridge, a fictional town a little North of London, served by a fictional Heritage Railway, in N

David

In fact, it is not really possible to fix a point's height (yet).

If one creates a grade, all neighboring parts move up (or down) as much as needed to satisfy the given descent percentage.
If one levels, all connected track track is moved up or down to the same height.

So: the easiest way to work with two levels is to first disconnect the piece of track that will become the gradient. Next, move the rest of the track to the desired levels.
Subsequently, create the gradient, and reconnect all the track.

I hope that the attached picture clarifies the process.
Of course, in any of the steps, the undo/redo functionality of the program can be a great help.

David.

Nick the Cabin Boy

Thanks, David, I'll try that!  From your diagram, do I need to move one section/stretch slightly and then put it back afterwards, or was that just an exaggeration to demonstrate the idea?

Nick
Elizabeth Grove, South Australia
Building Pottersbridge, a fictional town a little North of London, served by a fictional Heritage Railway, in N

David

Well, it's just easier to demonstrate it when moving it away. But also, it's easier to click the right endpoints to set the height, and keep track of what you're doing.

Good luck!

David.