News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

O Gage Layout Question(s)

Started by dwteb, December 22, 2021, 02:57:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dwteb

Hello.  New member.  First post.  I am working on my first layout in a VERY long time.  Changing from HO to O gage since my 50+ year old eyes don't seem to like HO anymore...  I am using Lionel Fastrack. 

Some questions:
  Is this layout asking for trouble?  So many little pieces to get everything to fit (at least almost fit)?  What I really could use is some flex track that I can cut to length.  Do they make that?

You will see there are few spots, especially on the bottom side of the layout, where I just can't seem to get the pieces to fit together.  Is there A) Any tool in the software to help me make these ends meet?  B) Some amount of gap is generally understood to be "ok" and able to be massaged into place during set up?

Any and all answers and or general input would be happily appreciated.  Thank you.

David

There is a way to make it connect using 'imperfect connections'. In fact this means making use of the play in the track.
Here's the manual page on this topic:
https://www.anyrail.com/AR6Docs/en/closinggaps/
and a video tutorial is here:
https://youtu.be/20hDeHXfAdo

Lionel Fastrack has a very wide roadbed. Please tick 'Roadbed' on the SHOW tab and you'll see that the track parts overlap on the right.

Also, please try the 3D view. This reveals that there are still some height issues.

I hope this helps!
David Hoogvorst. Founder and Owner of DRail Software. Creator of AnyRail.

dwteb

mrsax2000

There is 3 rail flex.  Your yard and loop next to yard are very close. You might want to move the bulk of the layout further from the yard, if you have room to do so.

For some reason, I can't see the connection points for the track. Yet, the Show option for this is checked.

I find the control points help me see where the tracks hook together and get a better visual for what's happening.

I suggest removing the little jog at the top of the plan, after the switch heading to the yard.  I had something similar in my first layout. Thought it was cool when I planned it out and immediately hated it after everything was built and running.