News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

Help with power mgmt for O gauge Lionel FasTrack layout

Started by EricF, December 29, 2021, 07:42:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EricF

My O gauge Lionel LionChief FasTrack layout has been growing and I'm starting to see power issues. This is not a fixed layout, I set the track up when the grandkids visit and then disassemble, clean and store it. With the additional track we're seeing spots where power gets weak.

The attached layout has 77 feet of track with five switches. We run two trains:

• Union Pacific Flyer engine with a dozen cars
  • Thomas the Tank Engine with seven small/lightweight cars

Just a few power consuming accessories:

• Three LEDs in a covered bridge
  • LEDs in a caboose (pulls power from track)
  • LEDs on a Christmas boxcar (pulls power from track)
  • Four Christmas Lighted track curve sections

We're using the standard power supply that came with the Union Pacific Flyer starter set. I've ordered the Lionel 72 Watt/4 Amp power supply and will have that soon. 

Question 1: We have a second power supply that came with the Thomas set ... does it make sense to add a second terminal track and connect both power supplies to the layout?

Question 2: Will the 72 Watt power supply make a significant difference?

Question 3: Would it help if I ran wires from near the power supply to other parts of the layout? If so, how many?

Question 4: Would it make sense to create isolated sections and run each of my 3 power supplies to different sections? If so, how is that done? We have four of the 1-3/8" FasTrack sections that allow isolation of the center rail by removing jumpers, but that only isolates the center rail. 

I'd appreciate any advice you can provide (or references to existing notes that would be helpful). THANKS!