News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

Granite Gorge and Northern - Ohio

Started by GraGoNorth, January 30, 2022, 04:28:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GraGoNorth

Here's my latest layout. I've changed it all to PECO code 100 track, mostly in order to save some expense. And it seems code 100 track is easier to obtain at this time. I didn't realize that turnout geometries would be as different as they turned out to be, which created some challenges. I wanted to use PECO turnouts since they are spring loaded, and this first phase is going to be very few trains and manual switching. The bridges that I have shown are Atlas, they may not be the correct model numbers, but for this, that doesn't matter. The crossovers are also Atlas.
I was able to keep all radii to a min. of 18". I ended up with some grades steeper than what I had hoped. I've had to raise some track off the already built benchwork to keep the grades down. Digitally, anyways. I haven't bought any track yet.
I feel like I fell down a rabbit hole with this layout. I'm probably too much a stickler for details. I ended up using some free CAD software to help layout the geometry. I'm a long-time user of AutoCAD and Inventor, and wished I still had access to them. I tried QCAD first, it's waaaayyyyy too different from what I'm used to, so I gave up on that and tried FreeCAD. I was able to do enough with that software to get along ok, but it felt clunky and did things not as well as Inventor does, or at least what I'm used to. Anyways, I didn't get into model railroading to learn new CAD software.
I did include the FreeCAD files that I used in case anyone is interested in them, but they are rough and don't represent the final track plan. I ended up splitting it into two CAD layouts since they were getting very busy. Ahh, I see I can't attach those types of files, so I just included a pdf of one of the two layouts. There's a word for going into this much detail. Starts with the letter "A". Ends with the letter "L". :)
The AnyRail file has a layer for the PECO 83 track, and a layer for the original published Atlas sectional track plan, with its errors left uncorrected.
I'm going to have nail some foam-lined rain gutter along the edges of this layout to catch derailing trains.

GraGoNorth

Hello Everyone!

Trying to keep moving forward with this layout, as the board members are getting impatient with the lack of progress they are seeing on their investment. Or is it I'm getting impatient with the fact there has been NO investment?
Anyways, I'm approaching the stage where I am trying to plan for the electronicals. I've created track sections where I think they are logical. By sections I mean isolated blocks, which I think in AnyRail mean the same thing?
I'm planning on running two trains at the first phase of things, one on each of the figure 8 loops, which are shown in orange and yellow. So my wiring would be pretty darn simple at first, since electrically the two loops would be kept completely isolated to themselves. I'd just get two basic DC throttles for around $80 bucks each and just let the trains run. In the meantime, I can keep attempting to learn the schemes for more advanced wiring and see if my interest continues.
So I would appreciate any opinions on what I've got shown here.
I'm probably going to relocate the 4 turnouts that are grouped together on the right side of the layout. Where they are now, with the grades...well, now that I'm looking at it, what I had in mind isn't going to work. Where they are now is originally planned, and already cut, to be three different elevations, with the yellow track at zero, the orange track at roughly +.5", and the orange track roughly at +1.25". So not only are the turnouts on a grade, they are also sloped. In Anyrail, I just set the height for all the turnouts to the same elevation, knowing that in real life I'll have to do some adjusting. To make it simpler, I was thinking I could rotate the two outer turnouts clockwise along the track path so they are closer to the bridge at 6:00, where the elevation of the two tracks would be zero, and rotate the two inner ones counterclockwise along the track path so they are more like at the 11:00 to 2:00 area, which would put both of them at the same elevation. But I lose the short purple "connector" track if I do that, right?
Ah well, it's late and my thinking process is shutting down. Will have to give this more thought.
Any thoughts on my blocks as they are? I realize the turnouts probably aren't isolated properly, I'm just looking for big picture stuff at this time.
Thanks!