News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

O Scale Challenge

Started by dscrockett, March 19, 2022, 12:14:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dscrockett

Aspiring designers, please see the attached O gauge plan featured in Lionel FasTrack designed by Ken Hoganson and featured in his book, 21 Great Train Plans for Compact Layouts. I know it's O gauge, but some of us old timers like it. As shown on the attached photo, he does not list the part numbers on each track so that the plan cannot be easily be replicated. I have tried to replicate the layout but cannot.  Please, can anyone help?Screenshot 2022-03-21 074637.jpg

chaz

Hi DS,

Welcome to the group. First, I am an old-timer and I like it. It has a vintage Lionel feel to it.

I have very little practical knowledge of O gauge; however, I think I can get you started.

O gauge curves are often listed by the diameter of the circle that would create. AnyRail lists curves by the radius of the circle they would create.

The 031 (red) curves are listed as 15.5-degree curves in AR libraries.
The 036 (purple) curves are listed as 18-degree curves in AR libraries.
The 048 (blue) curves are listed as 24-degree curves in AR libraries.

The straight pieces are either 5" or 10" or stated on the drawing.

MP 525.25 on the Prosser Subdivision of the North Kansas Division of the MOPAC Railroad.

BadBanana

Hi dscrockett,

I decided to take the challenge.  Please keep in mind that I know nothing about the Lionel tracks (I am a Z-gauge guy), but I think I got pretty close.  It is not immediately obvious, but there is clearly a colour coding error in the layout image that you posted.  The inner loop, at the right hand end is shown as all red (radius O31 in the Lionel system) yet the top and bottom of that loop are not aligned.  That tells us that there are some other track pieces of a larger radius in there as well.  Anyway, please take a look at the attached.  It seems about right to me.  I am not familiar with the different turnout styles available, but for any particular radius, they seem to have the same geometry, so you would probably be able to change the turnout type if needed.   

chaz

Hi dsrocett

I am concerned that the roadbed built into the track is right up to the edge of the 4x8 plywood top. Is flex track an option?
MP 525.25 on the Prosser Subdivision of the North Kansas Division of the MOPAC Railroad.