News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

Modular layout (curved track easements)

Started by jbialstock, June 01, 2022, 01:23:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbialstock

I am helping a rail museum to build a modular setup and we are more than a bit stumped on figuring how to get AnyRail to connect the tracks at the module ends with easement curves. I have attached the beginning of the track layout for one of our corner modules (all 4 will use the same layout). You will see that I have made each of the 4.5in long module end track pieces from Atlas H0 code 100 flex-track and that all of the various ruler dimensions are fractional inches (the museum is in the United States). How can I get the tracks at the module ends to connect by easement curve?

Any help would be appreciated.

Jon

rlcross

Jon, I've attached an example of curves with easements for your module that come within a half inch of your module tangents.  You would just have to lengthen the tangents to join the curves.  The curves are 29", 27" and 25" radius a 2 inch centerline offset as per your tangent tracks.  The easements are 25 degrees into the curves on each end, with a 40 degree circular curve connecting them.  I have found that using 25 degrees in the AnyRail easement generator provides an offset almost identical to the offsets proposed by Armstrong in his Track Planning for Realistic Operations.

Regards,

Richard CrossRMLI Easement Curves Example.any

jbialstock

Thanks, except that the module must conform to NMRA standards, which explains the 4.5" tangent tracks at both ends (a full 9" straight piece would bridge the gap between modules).

jbialstock

I forgot to mention that NMRA standard MS-1.0 also requires a 2.5" track center spacing on parallel curve tracks. How do I accomplish this with AnyRail, given the same NMRA standard calls for 2" of track center spacing on parallel tangent?

rlcross

Jon, in this example, I changed the curve clearance to 2.5 inches and extended the easements to meet the module tangent tracks.  Now the 2 inch clearance on the tangents expands to 2.5 inches throughout the easements giving you full 2.5 standard clearance in the circular curves.  The circular curve radius are 29, 26.5 and 24 inches.

Regards, RichardRMLI Easement Curves Example 2.any