News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

Dual-Gauge HO in Shinohara library

Started by carlb, August 24, 2016, 03:59:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

carlb

Is there any interest in dual-gauge (HO-HOn3) track components produced by Shinohara?

BritsTukker

Are these actually produced? Walthers talks about them but doesn't have any stock. Scalelink (UK) doesn't mention them. The only place I've found with prices quoted is Central Hobbies in Canada, but I don't know if they have stock. Didn't like the prices......

Mike from CT

There's some on eBay (US) at the moment for $39.95 and up.....

Doug vV

Hi,
I purchased a half dozen Shinohara dual gauge switches and several sections of dual gauge flex. I purchased them in the 1970s and up until about 1986 when I got into Live Steam. I have finally gotten enough cash for an HO layout again (I am a bit of a pack rat - still have the PRR and D&RGW equipment from the 1970s).
It would be handy to have Shinohara dual gauge.
Is there a way to create new track parts and library myself? I'd not mind making a few library items.
Doug vV

David

There is no way to do it yourself.
However, if you have a list of all elements and their measurements, it's usually not that much work for us to do it.
David Hoogvorst. Founder and Owner of DRail Software. Creator of AnyRail.

Doug vV

Hi,

There are four styles of dual gauge #6 turnouts.

1- left hand with left common rail
2- right hand with left common rail
3- left hand with right common rail
4- right hand with right common rail

These are the only ones I am familiar with having been manufactured.

I have a right hand right common rail switch that has SH-D-1011R cast into the tie.

It measures 10.750" on the straight "normal" path.
The throw bar center is at 1.236" from the beginning.
The entire point group is a single piece - it ends 3.080" from the beginning of the switch.
The toad (reverse frog on the switch SG rail crossing NG rail near the points) is located at 4.166"
The first frog is at 5.693" from the beginning. It is a a common rail crossing a NG rail.
The second frog is located at 7.200" from the beginning. At this point the #6 frog is 56.5 scale inches from both outside rails (double gauge - 113" scale inches).
At the the center of the diverging route where the diverging rout rail ends is at about 10.575" from the beginning and is offset by about 1.240"

Feel free to ask any further questions and if needed, I'll see how it scans on a Legal sized flatbed scanner to send an image.

Thanks.

Doug vV
Douglas Edgar van Veelen

P.S. my father was Hendrik Evert van Veelen born in the Dutch East Indies in 1920. Our family is from Dieren (as best as I recall).

PRuges

I would love these Shinohara Dual Guage Turnouts to be added to the library. Thank you Doug vV for submitting the Measurements. I am just starting to design my HO/Hon3 layout and having these are just what I am needing. Thank you in advance.

David

It's an old topic, but Doug or Peter, would you have a scan of the item? Best is rails down on the glass of the scanner, with a ruler next to it to make sure we scale it correctly.

PRuges

Hi David,
Yes, I will do this for you.
Thanks
Peter

PRuges

Here are the 4 versions of the Shinohara Dual Guage Turnouts
I have include both Metric and Imperial Rulers
Turst these are workable for you David,
Kind regards
Peter R

PRuges

Quote from: David on September 23, 2021, 11:24:38 PMIt's an old topic, but Doug or Peter, would you have a scan of the item? Best is rails down on the glass of the scanner, with a ruler next to it to make sure we scale it correctly.
Files uploaded in above post.

David

These are added in AnyRail 6.40