News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

New to forum - successully ditched Windows

Started by trancer96, November 19, 2022, 12:15:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trancer96

Seems like I should say "Hi" having just joined the forum. I'm not all that new to AnyRail having been using it for a couple of years now. I registered pretty much straight after the trial since I did not find any other software to my liking and, if I'm honest, AnyRail does what I want really well. My biggest issue has been being tied to Windows since AnyRail was the only software for which I was keeping a Windows VM alive.But the other day I got a new laptop and put Linux Mint 21 on it. Tried the AnyRail installer (6.49.0) in Wine and I was shocked to find that not only did it install and work but it did so flawlessly and works better than running it in a VM with all that Windows baggage. And the coup de grace was that even the 3D view worked perfectly which I'd previously had trouble with even in some VMs (works fine in VMWare). I still think it's a bit of an anachronism that software runs only on Windows in this day and age when so many people are trying to get away from the disaster that Windows has become. Having AnyRail 6 working flawless in Wine is fantastic since I still have a fair amount of CAD work to do on a new layout design.

I had been thinking about searching for an alternative to AnyRail that runs natively on Linux (they all have at least one fatal flaw) so having the next best thing made it feel like would now stay with AnyRail and joining the forum is sort of sealing the deal.  8)

David

Thanks for the kind words!

Our experience is that it often works, but sometimes not.
This may depend on the Linux version, the Wine version and the AnyRail version.
The basics will usually work but the user interface may look weird due to missing fonts, font scaling, shadowed window borders, etc.

David Hoogvorst. Founder and Owner of DRail Software. Creator of AnyRail.

zsi

Considering that the global operating system market share of Windows is about 30% and that of Linux about 1%, it is hard to justify creating and maintaining a separate Linux-version of Anyrail, I would say.

ibondy

@zsi Fully agree, and when you talk about desktop OS it is about 76% Windows, 15% OS and <3% Linux. Any business needs to prioritize their efforts based on the ROI. I would estimate that ROI on Linux is almost zero.

Cheers,