News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

Hi New to Anyrail returning hobbyist

Started by matwater, November 13, 2022, 05:49:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matwater

Hi, Kids left home and time to start looking into old hobbies once more. Also got caught up in the Hornby TT pre-xmas marketing drive.

Anyrail seems to be one of the better products out there but i was surprised by the price tag £47 to remove trail restrictions. Maybe with push for Hornby TT  here int he UK a potential to revise the price to help ease a few more into the Hobby?

Nick the Cabin Boy

I think you will find, in the future, that that £47 is the best £47 you've ever spent on your railway. Apart from anything else, your licence is valid for two versions, so you will get V6 and all its updates (usually about monthly), and V7, which appears to be some time off yet.

I just checked: my first message to this forum was in 2008. I have only paid for AnyRail twice in all that time. David could confirm the release dates of each new full version, but I believe I started with V3, and got V4 free, then paid for V5 and got V6 free. Don't remember how much it cost, but I vaguely remember my Dad asking me what I wanted for my birthday, probably 2007 (57), and I said, could he please pay for AnyRail.

My wife will attest that I have spent hundreds of hours designing layouts since then! AND, I'm finally in a position to build one!

Cheers,

Nick
Elizabeth Grove, South Australia
Building Pottersbridge, a fictional town a little North of London, served by a fictional Heritage Railway, in N

BadBanana

Quote from: Nick the Cabin Boy on November 14, 2022, 03:25:05 AMI think you will find, in the future, that that £47 is the best £47 you've ever spent on your railway.
I have to agree.  I bought v6 almost three years ago, and my license is good for v7 when it comes out.  It is an amazingly versatile piece of software.  I have used it for layout design in Z gauge, and occasionally for use with Lego railway track.  The software seems incredibly stable, library updates are frequent (for those that need them) and the author is active on the forum when people ask about things.  Like Nick above, I have also spent very many hours laying out, and then re-laying.  The ability to add height, include landscape contours and then visualise in 3D is really helpful. I also use the export function to allow simulation in TrainPlayer to see how a layout might work with multiple trains (I am using v7.x rather than v8).  And when printing out your final AnyRail layouts for building, it's accurate to the millimetre. 

While it's not cheap, the price is no more than one or two pieces of rolling stock for your railway.  I certainly consider it good value.

Any questions, just ask.

Les.

matwater

I'm sure I'll wrap my head around paying £47 for this software. Just used it to confirm starter Hornby TT set will indeed fit on my Table Top.