News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

O Scale 2023 Christmas Layout Challenge

Started by Rob Greer, January 02, 2023, 10:12:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob Greer

I'm a beginner and this year was my first year running trains under my Christmas tree. I ran two full circles of O48 and O60. It was super fun to have my family over to run them and my neighbor's 7 year old boy over. I even got him a Lionel engineer hat.

Next year I want to add another outer circle of O72 but I want that circle to extend from under the tree, run in front of the fireplace, around the base of my large format camera, and back again. I'd like to keep the 072 circle under the tree as close to a circle as possible and the rails running in front of the fireplace as close to the fireplace as possible and in parallel (as close as possible to each other). I figure the circle under the camera will be an O60.

I'm including photos that show about where I'd like the rails to run, but I realize it won't be exact because of the curves needed to break out of the circle. But I thought it might help to see the actual situation.
For the cars and engine I want to run on that line, I need a 042 minimum curve. The engine will be a Lionel #2131550 Legacy 4-8-2 Mohawk - New York Central #2727 and it will pull some long heavyweight passenger cars.

I've spent hours trying to use AnyRail and figure out the curves and pieces I need, but I'm too inexperienced to get it correct and figure out what pieces of track I need given my requirements.

I've included an AnyRail file that shows how far I've gotten, but it's obviously incomplete and perhaps even has the wrong pieces included. But hopefully it will give you an idea as to what I hope to accomplish.

Can any of you help me figure it out? Thanks for your help!

Image-1-2.jpg

Image-0-2.jpg

drawing.jpg

Screenshot 2023-01-02 151053.png

Here's the AnyRail file:

Example.any   

ErieAW

Rob,

I have attached two possible plans that come close to your criteria. Neither of the track plans completely close, but I think the gap is small enough that you can make it work. I hope this helps.

Eric
RobGreer.any
RobGreer2.any

ErieAW

Rob,

I assumed that it was more important to stay close to the hearth with the parallel tracks than to use the larger radius track.The larger radius track will push everything further into the room. Here is another layout than uses just O48 curves.Screen Shot 2023-01-07 at 1.47.56 PM.png

Rob Greer

Thanks so much for your help. I'm going to try RobGreer2.any and see how it works. I bought your software as a thank you.

I notice that layout calls for "6-12074, 0 Lionel FasTrack, Straight without roadbed 1.37". Is there any reason I can't use the version with the roadbed?

ErieAW

Rob,
Using the 1.375" piece with roadbed will look better.  Depending how you have the track menu setup you can't always tell which one you are picking. The only reason I used the other is, I didn't realize that was what I picked.

Enjoy
Eric