News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

N scale track plan by dlusicic

Started by dlusicic, February 07, 2023, 05:13:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dlusicic

Hello everyone from the newbie. When I discovered this forum, I first solved the registration and problem with the interface and software. The problem was related to the existence of the rail, which can only be seen in the 3D view. It does not appear anywhere on the desktop. BedBanana suggested that I post a layout plan, maybe someone else has an idea or the same thing happened to them. The rail is located below the menu above the desktop (somewhere around half of the screen). How did she get there? When I pulled the two rails together towards the top, one became hidden, and the other remained partially visible. Later, when I finished the design, I saw this other one and deleted it. The first one remained outside the desktop. In principle, that doesn't bother me because what I can't see (except in 3D) is not important. But if there is a solution, I would like to know it. There is another interesting thing about the program that could help solve such cases. In another software I used, there was an orphans command, which, when the plan was finished, deleted all rails that were not connected to anything. But that is a topic for David's thinking. That's what I suggested to him.
Now details about the layout plan. I developed it for two years. As it usually happens in life, we are never satisfied with what we have designed. We are always looking for something new, better. This is where the internet comes into play. I mined the Internet like a worm in a stone and found some solutions that filled me with satisfaction. Images and source are listed on the plan. It all had to be connected somehow, but how? By accident, as it usually happens, I found an L-shaped layout that I generally liked. It took 17 revisions to get to this stage. The additional 3 revisions were for fine tuning. I started the project with Fleischmann N rails, then switched to Pico and back to Fleischmann. Why? There are no Peco rails in Croatia, you can get Fleischann, Minitrix. The postage costs for the online purchase of Peco rails are such that you can buy one to two Peco switches for one shipment. Peco Finescale Code 55 is more natural, has a larger selection of switches and the layout looks somehow more elegant. The most important advantage is the control solenoid is located under the switch, and not like Fleischmann - a black box on the side. I know it can be detached, turned and flush with the surface, but the Peco is nicer! Back to the track plan. The layout has two levels. The first is in the shape of the letter L, 3 m long and 2 m long. The width is very small, only 65 cm. Helix was used to move from the first to the second level, which is 3 m long and 65 cm wide. From the pictures that are part of the plan, you can roughly see how I envision the landscape and the buildings. It will be interesting to see the American look and the European trains. Check it out and let me know if you like it, if you would change or improve something. I am aware of the rule "less is more" but this is where we are. Enjoy!Dooby Railroad FEISCHMANN - rev 3 Hights.any

BadBanana

OK - that was interesting and unexpected.

The track piece that was visible in the 3D view, had somehow been set with a position where the X and Y coordinates were both negative and outside the normal working area.  Thus it was impossible for you to move it or access it.  All I have done here is create a completely new file and then copy and paste everything that is visible in your original 2D view into the new file. I unglued some stuff while trying, so you may want to re-glue things.  However, I think it's pretty much OK.  And because the copy only worked on stuff I could see, the unwanted track piece is now gone.

The question remains, how did this happen?  I have no idea.  If you were using a much older version of AnyRail previously, maybe there was a bug, but in three years of heavy usage of this software I have never seen this happen.  Another possibility is that you've perhaps had a memory corruption in your PC that caused an unexpected change in the data.  It may be worth checking out your hardware by running a tool such as Memtest86 from a USB stick for a few hours.  I have had memory go bad in the past, causing unexpected data corruption and I was able to use Memtest to confirm the cause.  I replaced a stick of RAM and the problem went away for good. 

Last point... Can I suggest that you remove large graphical elements before uploading track plans?  That was a huge file by AnyRail standards, and it not only would tack those on slower links a long time to download, it also occupies a significant chunk of storage space on the forum host hardware.  I have left the file in tact in this case, but I was tempted to remove the images before uploading the fixed version for that reason.  Thanks.

David

It is a piece of hidden track.

If, on the SHOW tab, you tick 'Hidden track' and zoom out quite a bit so the light blue background appears, you can see it above the work area. Now you can select it and remove it.
David Hoogvorst. Founder and Owner of DRail Software. Creator of AnyRail.

BadBanana

Thank you, David.  I have no idea how I did not see that.  (Well, I know how, but you know what I mean.)

@dlusicic - so that was the answer.  You may ignore my other suggestions. 

dlusicic

BedBanana, thanks for the idea and effort. I get the idea myself. I will try to do it myself part by part, because from what you sent me, the format (no layers, no invisibe track, ...) and many things are not visible. As for the file size - OK. For future revisions I will only send the bare plan.

David, I tried as you stated but it not worked. The blue area, when I enlarge everything, is too small and I can't see the rail. The upper left corner of the plan is at the point (20,20). The upper point (0,0) of the desktop is anchored to the upper left corner and around it appears (left and above) a small blue area that is too small to see the rail. How to magnified blue area? Is it connected to AnyRail setup, maybe? Am I making a mistake somewhere in the process.

BadBanana

I think you're not quite there - may trying to zoom too far out?.  See the attached showing the button to click and the location of the track piece which you can then select and delete.

dlusicic

BadBanana, no matter how much I reduce the picture, the upper left corner of the work area ALWAYS stays in the same place in the upper left corner. The blue surface does not show as in your picture. How do I detach the work area from the point (0,0)? How do you reduce the area? I do this by changing the size in the lower right corner (scale). I assume that the picture you sent is 1:24 in size. That's what it says in the lower right corner of my screen. There's probably something in the AnyRail setup on my computer that cements the selected work area size 430x800 at the point (0,0) - upper left corner.

David

In FILE/Options/General, tick 'Center work area'.

dlusicic

David, that's only half the battle. The desktop was centered horizontally (left to right). It is also necessary to select Fit to windows on the menu: Home - Wiev scale to move the desktop up and down. Only then does the rail become visible. David, BadBanana thank you very much for your help. I hope that we all learned something new together that can help others. Thanks again!

David

You can quickly zoom in and out by holding CTRL and using the mouse wheel.

dlusicic

David, I tried it and it works. Thanks again for your help.