News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

HO Triple Deck Track Plan

Started by TomB, February 16, 2023, 03:01:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomB

I finally got this to a point that may be OK for posting.  It's HO, with 27-28 minimum radii, primarily for passenger trains, but with industrial trains and some switching on the middle level.  Bottom level is staging and the top level is the primary passenger station with coach yard.  A two-part, single-track helix is used, with a double track mainline on the outer perimeter.  Staging takes a helix from the staging level to the middle level, then a separate helix takes the middle level to the top level.  The result is one entrance/exit to the helix on the staging and top levels, and two entrances/exits on the middle level to either the bottom helix or top helix.  Crossovers at the neck of the peninsula provide train reversing and a wye is used on the staging level.

I hope to railfan trains around the double track main on the middle and top levels, while switching freights on the middle level or turntable duty, and switching coaches on the top level.  An option also exists for staged trains to make a circuit on each level and then back down again, for a point-to-point operation to and from staging, if desired.

Three-foot lift-out sections are used at the door on the middle and top levels.

It's basically for a single-user operation, so things are tight around the peninsula, with two pinch-points on either side of a bit less than two feet.

P.S. After reviewing turnout construction of various brands at a local hobby shop, I'm in the process of changing from Atlas turnouts/track to Walthers.  I've completed that on the staging level, but not the other two.

I've also got a request in for Walthers Wye turnouts.  They're not available in the present AnyRail version.  I would rather use one of those on the staging level instead of the #6 in the peninsula leg of the wye.

P.P.S. - The benchwork outline is only valid for the middle level.  The other two levels will follow the track lines, for the most part.