News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

Hello from Connecticut

Started by Rockytop, February 25, 2023, 05:59:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rockytop

AnyRail is Awesome! I'm an engineer and have used a lot of software packages over the years. This is well done! Clean and easy to learn.

Started working with Z scale recently and learning layout design principles. Inspired by work of John Armstrong. Translating older layouts from N scale to Z. I've also drawn Armstrong's one Z scale layout published in the late 70s. It's basically a Clinchfield RR modeling the Loops just east of the Blueridge Parkway. I'm from that area originally so this has hometown appeal.

Using surfaces with heights to stack up and model terrain. Each surface represents a height contour. The 3D view then shows roughly the overall appearance. This is very useful to visualize the overall layout. This also provides a template for cutting foam that will be stacked up to form the terrain. Do others do this? The 3D view is very helpful.

BadBanana

Quote from: Rockytop on February 25, 2023, 05:59:47 PMUsing surfaces with heights to stack up and model terrain. Each surface represents a height contour. The 3D view then shows roughly the overall appearance. This is very useful to visualize the overall layout. This also provides a template for cutting foam that will be stacked up to form the terrain. Do others do this? The 3D view is very helpful.
This is exactly what I do.  I also set the contour surfaces to be semi-transparent, such that the more surfaces that are placed have on top of one another, the darker that part of the layout appears - just like some printed maps.

I have also been using AnyRail a great deal with Z-gauge (using mostly Marklin track).  My layout is still a long way from being built, however.  Nevertheless, I love the ease of trying out ideas with AnyRail.  I also use it to plan layouts for my Lego railway track.