News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

Shelf layout around my office - importing base plan

Started by daviesapn, January 22, 2024, 12:00:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ughcat35

Oh I need to make a couple changes.  Didn't want any turnouts where you will have the lift out for your AC unit.

ughcat35

This version clears the AC for a Straight double track at the lift out.  I like the Industry better in the upper lest on this also.

ughcat35

Made a few last adjustments.  Now do you see any areas you wish were different?
All the track highlighted in gold are the flex track.  Much of that you could replace with the 510's where they are straight if you wanted to.  Most of the flex sections there is little to no radius on them.

daviesapn

I love it!  Looks fabulous to me.

I'm going to do this bit by bit so I have a bit of a way to go before I start laying track.

My carpenter is mocking up a short section of the shelf so I can check it works with cabling / sizing etc. I'm then away with work for a while. But I'll keep you updated for sure. really can't thank you enough!

I am planning / thinking of using Peco code 100 track. I know code 100 is the height of the rail, but I'm not entirely sure what the advantage of one over the other is. If is is just aesthetics - then I am not too worried as you wouldn't be able to see the track anyway.

One thing I learned today was that spacing between tracks can be as close as 51mm. I thought it was 67mm. Would you agree?

ughcat35

Sounds good, take it step by step to be sure it works out.

As for the code 100 over code 83, code 83 to me looks more to scale but as you say its a shelf layout so you won't really notice the difference.

As for the track spacing center to center depends on the turnouts you use, radius of your curves and maximum length of engines and rolling stock going around the turns (2 Trains side by side in the curves) .  Maybe also your carpenter can mock up a radius for a corner section to see how close track can be to the wall for your train can enter and exit the curves without brushing against the wall.  Just in case you need to increase the radius of shelf corners.  Track spacing on the straight sections is not an issue.

I will see how close I can make this plan with Peco and the use of flex track mainly long straight sections.

ughcat35

This is all Peco Streamline Turnouts and Peco Setrack code 100 curve, straight and flex track. 

daviesapn

Hi

If anyone would like to see - my carpenter Denny dropped off a short sample of the shelf he is building - just so I can try it out and check it. Here are some photos

Sample shelf photos

freescopesdad

I am curious after reading through this thread... I think I understand that this is in an office and space is premium, but why would you want to put this layout 6.5 feet above the floor? Who is going to be able to see it operate?
Owner/Operator
Chicago, Blue Island & Northern Illinois RailRoad

daviesapn

Well good question

It crosses over the entrance door so needs to be above head height.

You won't get a good view, but I am confident I'll be able to see trains going past from the other side of the office.

No other option really. Maybe I am mad but hey! It helps that I am quite tall. I was inspired by a similar layout - above head height - in a coffee shop in Northallerton, Nort Yorkshire.

Was about to post another question actually.

My carpenter is currently making the shelves and I am on holiday in Spain, so I have been thinking about how to control the trains.

I'd like to control it from a PC / Mac and eventually just set it up to run. It's essentially quite a simple layout and I would have initially just one train running - but would add a second later.

I'd like to have motorised points and proper working signals.

My thought was to pop a headless PC (intel Nuc?) or Mac Mini in a small server cabinet which is in an ideal location to run cables to the track. I would then use VNC to connect to it.  Id hope to be able to operate trains with an iPad too.

I'd rather this than buy a dedicated hand held controller.

I am assuming there'd be a box connected to the PC / Mac via USB which then provides the power and DCC signals to the track. I've been looking at iTrain which looks just the ticket.

Does anyone have any recommendations?  I'm quite geeky so like the idea of a challenge.

Andrew

freescopesdad

I control my layout via the ESU ECoS command station, and also via my iPad with a RealVNC hookup, as my staging yard is about 12' over my right shoulder. It is all Kato n scale with Digitrax DS52's to control turnouts. The entire layout is viewable on the ECoS screen and the iPad. I picked up a generic Apple pencil on Amazon to give me finer control (vs my fat fingers) over speed and such when using the iPad.

As for the office access, have you considered a hinged bridge across the doorway? I have seen many YT videos and forum posts on that very subject. Might provide you a slightly less elegant but much more practical solution to your dilemma (or is it dilemna  :-\ ).
Owner/Operator
Chicago, Blue Island & Northern Illinois RailRoad

daviesapn

Hi

Thanks for this.  I have actually gone for DCC EX, running on an Arduano with a Raspberry Pi running JMRT. Haven't got close to setting it up yet, but had the Pi plugged in for a play.  Will report back on how I get on, but I like a bit of coding and electronics so suits me.  Loads to learn on it - but that suits me too.

The shelf is in the process of being built.  No need for a hinged bridge (good idea though). I guess my intention is to create a layout to run in the background - as opposed to something that will be actively operated.

I've updated my progress document if anyone would like to take a look

https://andrew-davies.notion.site/Office-train-set-564cbca5595c4c8fa59adc48703ec4b3

daviesapn

Hello all

Things progressing well with my layout!

I have put some more photos on my Notion page if anyone would like to see - https://andrew-davies.notion.site/Office-train-set-564cbca5595c4c8fa59adc48703ec4b3

David

David Hoogvorst. Founder and Owner of DRail Software. Creator of AnyRail.

daviesapn

daviesapn

Hello all

So I have been away with work so not had time to look into this, but this week I have been working in earnest on my shelf layout and it is coming on nicely!  But I keep changing my mind on my track layout.

Keen to hear everyone's thoughts on the attached.  I have left the baseboard / shelf off as I am having trouble drawing it accurately.  Instead I am planning to fix the curves in place - and the points, then cut track to the right length.

So does this look like a sensible layout?  I have intentionally used streamline points for the crossovers.

Appreciate it is difficult without seeing the baseboard in situ - but keen to hear thoughts anyway - particularly on the fiddle yard.

Andrew