News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

Loft attempt 4

Started by Andrew, January 13, 2010, 10:04:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew

Hi All,
It's been more that 13 months since my loft was finished and I have just finished laying the 2 main lines and some of the sidings. I am still not happy with the goods yards, oil refinery or carriage storage areas.
Any ideas on these area would be gratefully received.
Yours,
Andrew
Yours,

Andrew

Jeff

I think my opinion is that the goods yard seems to be quite a long 'virtual' distance from the station. Also, something like a tunnel or building 'flats' (buildings that are only a front and perhaps an inch of sides, then cut stringht across the back) might interrupt sight-lines and give an impression of there being different scenes. Those are only suggestions and may be disregarded at will.
Later,                                                AnyRail Fanatic
Jeff                      and Unofficial Guy Who Knows Almost Everything About It

Soulnet

Have you considered using double slips? It will compress everything a bit more giving you longer sidings.

Andrew

Hi,
Peartree, I like the idea of a backdrop to hid the raised track. I've also added storage lines behind the backdrop. i I have laid about 90% of the track.
I had thought about double and single slips but choose points. I may change this after the layout has been running for a while.
I will attach some photos once I've reduced them to under 512kb
Yours,

Andrew

Jeff

Right, Andy. Those hidden tracks are called a 'staging yard' in my country. Don't hesitate to get lots of use out of the backdrop, too. It can be extended completely across the layout at that point, as long as you provide a valid reason for the track to disappear. Some examples are going behind a group of trees or behind a hill or behind a group of buildings- anything that would block your view in real life.

As for turnouts vs. double/single-slips, that's up to you. In your plan, it's not likely that your train would be taking those points at a high speed, so you won't get in trouble from a mechanical viewpoint.
Jeff                      and Unofficial Guy Who Knows Almost Everything About It

Andrew

Hi All,
Here's my loft area and layout so far....still have allot to do!!!!!! 95% of my plan has been laid and connected to the Lenz90 system.
Currently, changing my Australian Lima DC Loco's over to DCC and building some Australian wagon kits.
Buildings are a mixture of kits, scratched built and printed. The printed ones are better than you think, printed off an inkjet colour printer, either on normal or photo paper.
Andrew
Yours,

Andrew

Jeff

Very good job, Andrew! I'll be interested to see the final product in, say, a couple of years. Remember: No layout ever died from a lack of scenery, but too many to count have failed with poor trackwork :) Spend time on making the joints smooth as silk and you won't be disappointed.

kimbo

It's great to see practical applications of plans to real-life layout, so thanks for sharing with us your story! I get the feeling that you and I are going through a similar process in terms of renovating first before being able to get to the phase you're at!

It looks like a very impressive layout in any case - do you find you have enough aisle width?!?

Kim
Living in: Brussels, Belgium
AnyRail user since: 26/12/2007
Dream layout: HO freelance layout set in an imaginary European country bordering to Belgium, Germany, and Netherlands
Personal site: http://kimmetje.rpgnewworlds.net

Andrew

The aisle is about 500mm wide but you are able to move and reach everywhere should anything derail. The only thing is I keep hitting my head on the damn ceiling!!!
Yours,

Andrew

kimbo

A classic problem with that oh so satisfying bump!  ;D
Kim
Living in: Brussels, Belgium
AnyRail user since: 26/12/2007
Dream layout: HO freelance layout set in an imaginary European country bordering to Belgium, Germany, and Netherlands
Personal site: http://kimmetje.rpgnewworlds.net

Andrew

Here's an update of the layout which is still evolving/changing whilst under construction..
Yours,

Andrew

Jeff

I offer you a couple of small additions / changes. They're grouped on the Modifications layer (4). There are also some edits on the bottom left corner.

Andrew

Here's how my layout no looks. Still a lot of work to do. Lenz 90 DCC sytem, with 2 controllers and XPA cordless controller. I can have 3 tracks working by myself or have 3 friends over. Will be putting in 5 x 5 pin din plugs for added mobility around the layout.
Yours,

Andrew

Jeff

A couple of comments on the latest-

1) That "mountain/tunnel" has GOT to go! :) It brings me back to some very dark days in 1956.

2) When you set up the refinery, try to keep the distillation/cracking towers away from the tracks and keep the storage tanks near the tracks. Spotting the loading hoses next to the tracks is top priority, of course, and the storage tanks should be very close-by.

Is the file above (4th Atempt...) the one you're building from? If not, how about a current plan? Your work looks good and I'm sure the rest would like to see what's up, as well.

Andrew

Hi Jeff,
Yes the tunnel will be going to a galaxy far, far away. and the oil depots and refinery haven't been finalized. Although I will not be changing them and should have been finished with their scenery by now. So much to do and so little time.
Hears an updated plan 10 and 11. Still not happy with the timetable and access point area. Front right in photo. Please suggest away.
Yours,
Andrew
Yours,

Andrew