News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

Problem with Fleischmann N Piccolo. Help me...

Started by Sthrattoff, March 01, 2010, 03:40:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sthrattoff

It's difficult to tell in words, so I'll tell with picture (attached).

According to Fleischmann N Piccolo's catalog, this should not happening because all turnouts' curves (including three-way turnouts and double slip switch) use Fleischmann track article 9136 (R4 curve, 15 degree). I don't know which things was miscalculated but it is surely annoying. Any solutions with this problem will be really appreciated because I'm planning to make a layout using Fleischmann N Picollo track system.

Thank you in advance!

David

Hello,

The Fleischmann Piccolo N track (and Profi track as well) is designed a long time ago. If used in the real world, some inaccuracies don't really show as they do in a software program. We've modelled the parts exactly as they are.

To show you that's mathematically impossible that the Fleischmann example is correct:
-The standard track distance is 33.6mm.
-The turnouts have been designed to perfectly fit, so the deviation of the curved rail is 33.6 / 2 = 16.8mm.

-The countercurve has a radius of 430mm. That means it makes up for 430 * (1-cos(15)) = 14.65mm.
-It's also too long: 430 * sin (15) = 111.3mm. instead of 111mm.

So that leaves a significant gap!

Rotating the counter curve 1 degree solves this. When using this track for real, you won't even notice that the track is slightly out of line. See the attached picture.

Solving this with AnyRail is not too difficult though. If you start laying the turnouts, the curves will almost always fit in with the given tolerances. If not, you could increase the tolerances in the Tools/Options Tolerances tab.
Alternatively, you can switch 'Snap dropped parts' off in the Tools/Options Behavior tab. If you do that, you need to manually rotate and shift the parts into place. If the tolerances are met, the track connects. That's what I did in the attached picture.

Hope this helps!

David.
David Hoogvorst. Founder and Owner of DRail Software. Creator of AnyRail.