News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

Visible layers

Started by Andrew, March 23, 2010, 04:20:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew

Hi David,
Is it possible to change the way in which to show layers? At the moment the last layer you add, the tick cannot be removed from the "visible layers" field. Could it be changed so that either all can be removed or that any one of the layers must be ticked.
Yours,
Andrew
Yours,

Andrew

Jeff

I'll answer this for David, since I got here first. What he said to me was 'Of course you can't make the layer you're working on inviisble! That's crazy!' or words to that effect... :)

p.s. If what you're trying to do is to make either visible or hidden track disappear because it's in the way of what you're trying to see, go to the Home tab and ucheck either Visible or Hidden track checkboxes.
Later,                                                AnyRail Fanatic
Jeff                      and Unofficial Guy Who Knows Almost Everything About It

Andrew

Hi, that's not what I mean but I can understand that reasoning. By being able to remove the ticks from all the layers you can work on an individual layer without an overlay. You can still have all layers shown of course or just the one you want.
Yours,

Andrew

Jeff

I think I see what you want- to be able to have some other layer visible than the one you are working on? Maybe you could give a step-by-step example?
Jeff                      and Unofficial Guy Who Knows Almost Everything About It

railfettler

Hi Andrew

David will probably answer this at some stage.

The software would require that there should always be an active layer.  In my workings with layers all I do is double click another layer in the drop down list on the left hand side of the Layers Tab.  This then makes it the active layer in the Current Layer field to the right.  If you wish you can then turn off the previous one by clicking on it once in the left hand drop down list.  This then gives a different active layer.  This also prevents changes from happening in the incorrect layer.

Hope this is of some assistance.

Regards

Greg

David

I'm slightly confused by this discussion to be honest!

Currently, layers are either visible or invisible. Whenever a layer is visible, it can be edited. The 'current' layer is always visible. This is the layer where new parts are placed by default.

A problem arises when you want to work on one layer, but you want to see one or more other layers as a reference but not change them. For that, we would need to introduce another setting per layer, named 'active', or 'editable'.

In that scenario, a visible layer can either just be displayed, or also be editable.

For the current version, that turned out to be one step to much. However, if that is what you need, we can reconsider adding it in a future release.

David.
David Hoogvorst. Founder and Owner of DRail Software. Creator of AnyRail.

Future-Digital

Actually, when working with layers, I expected to see all checked lower layers (protected) and only be able to edit the TOP layer. I, for one, would like that setup.
"I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book." - Groucho Marx

santerdam

If you only can edit the TOP layer, it would be inpossible to connect a track to a track in an other layer.

Sander

Andrew

Hi All,
Greg, the double click has given me the result that I am after, with only the layer I wanted being able to be printed.

David, the idea of making the layers available or unavailable for editing was not what I was after, it was merely being able to print or work on any layer without an overlay.

Yours,
Andrew
Yours,

Andrew

David

Please take a look here to see how you can create a separate window to control the layers:
http://www.anyrail.com/help_en/index.html?the_layer_tab.htm

Scroll down almost halfway to "To create a larger floating layer window"

David.
David Hoogvorst. Founder and Owner of DRail Software. Creator of AnyRail.

Future-Digital

I understand the idea that if all layers are protected and uneditable except the top layer then a track can't descend through those layers. I hope that a way can be found for those pieces of track because I really would like to see non-editable layers. I am constantly finding myself bumping or dragging the wrong thing by accident. Then I have to replace them in exactly the right place, which might be quite hard, even with CTRL-Z. I have even found, much to my surprise, that whole sections of my benchwork or a wall, or some other "permanent" fixture had disappeared, deleted without my noticing it. Really a pain to recreate, sometimes.

If those items had been on a lower, protected layer, they could not have been messed up.

Perhaps a type of "Penetrating" track could be made, control-d or control-c for control descend or climb could be used to go between layers.

OR, perhaps something as simple as SHIFT while placing a track could be used to penetrate layers. If SHIFT were used, then a very fast, temporary edit of any layer could be made if it just so happens that something in the top layer is just about to run over something in a lower level. Just SHIFT and drag the lower item. When the SHIFT is released, everything in lower levels becomes uneditable, again. The idea is to prevent accidents and mistakes, not intentional acts.

Bill
"I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book." - Groucho Marx

Jeff

Personally, I think that an Edit/Fixed checkbox that allows each layer to be 'frozen' is a good idea. Just a simple Freeze checkbox that only shows for that layer when it's on top. That way it's easy to see, easy to change, easy to use...

Of course it would help if each layer was clearly identified, on-screen, without having to open the layers tab...

Chris

Hi everyone.

Having never bothered with layers before (and, in fact, always found them to be a confounded nuisance) I suddenly need them and thoroughly concur with the thoughts being expressed here.

With best wises,
Chris.
Chris
N & Z Home PageBahnhof Breitenfurt – Ost

Marklin Z scale Bavarian S3/6___________________

Jeff

Thanks, Chris.

Now to address a point brought up by David- track connections. I'm wondering if maybe the connections should be treated like those to a Glued piece or section of track. The track is Glued, but it still allows us to add pieces, just as if it were not glued. So, Glued is not Locked, either on the same layer or between one layer and another. Also, Glue 'spreads' between one layer and another. I'm not sure if I agree with that or not. I have a feeling that the layers aren't as separate as they should be.

Also, I think that layers that are purely graphics / Lines & Surfaces SHOULD be able to be frozen, no matter what. I know we can't yet group lines, but this would be a good step towards that.