News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

Hidden hiding?

Started by Jeff, April 02, 2010, 12:40:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Ok. I right-click a piece of track and...

No 'Hidden' menu choice?  ???
Later,                                                AnyRail Fanatic
Jeff                      and Unofficial Guy Who Knows Almost Everything About It

David

No, hidden is now in the Ribbon.

We've tried to put the functions you use only once or twice in the Ribbon to keep the popup menu manageable.

David.
David Hoogvorst. Founder and Owner of DRail Software. Creator of AnyRail.

Jeff

I submit that Hidden isn't one of those functions! Adjusting the track that's Hidden often takes many tries. It would be simpler if we could cut a length of flex track just before it goes under a bridge or into a tunnel, but failing that, we just have to keep adjusting things and either leave all Hidden/un-Hidden moves until AFTER we have a finished layout or keep using the button. Not to mention having to edit the layout. Editing the layout can mean many extra inches (or cm's) of mouse travel while Hiding/unHiding. You know my layouts. It could take me an extra 5 minutes just on one edit! :)
Jeff                      and Unofficial Guy Who Knows Almost Everything About It

David

That's true, but you can select as much track as you like at once to hide/unhide.
The function works on your complete selection of track.

Cutting a flex track anywhere has been a wish for some time. It's on our list, and will be done some time in the future.

David.

Russ

Related to this: Why does a library object (tree, building etc) cover up a track but a surface does not?? Tried "bring to front"; it works on a line but the track shows thru a surface. - Russ

David

@Russ: All lines and surfaces are drawn underneath the track and predefined objects.

As the track is the most important thing in the design, this seemed reasonable so far. You probably always want to see the track.

For predefined objects it might be a bit less obvious, but they follow the same rules as the track.

David.

David K Smith

An oddball thought... would it make any sense to (optionally) automatically render a tunnel portal at each end of a length of hidden trackage? Something like this--

It would certainly simplify the job of adding tunnel portals to a plan. Of course, they may not always land exactly where you might want them (if you wanted them in the middle of a track part), but it would be a good approximation.

Jeff

Well, yes, but it would look funny if the hidden track was simply going inside a building :)

David K Smith

Quote from: Jeff on May 20, 2010, 08:10:58 PM
Well, yes, but it would look funny if the hidden track was simply going inside a building :)

That's why I'd indicated "optionally", as in click the hidden track and turn the option on or off. (winkies)

David

Interesting idea! I like it.

David.