News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

Easements with flextrak

Started by Capt. Brigg, November 21, 2010, 09:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt. Brigg

I'm mostly happy with the AnyRail CAD program, and about to purchase it, but need some additional information on how the easement selection for flextrak in AnyRail works. I understand the concept of easements (a gradual decrease in radius from straight track to the desired curvature, 26" in my case) and will definitely be using them. The curves where I need to add an easement will usually be 90 degrees or more on a 26" radius. When I select a piece of flex track, select Easement Flex and select a radius of 26 it won't let me select an angle of 90, it says maximum is 60. Then it gives me a piece of flex rail that is about 6 feet long. Since the easement is at the beginning and end of the curve with a constant radius in the middle, this does not make sense to me. I'm sure I'm missing something in setting the parameters for the easement flex curve, but the Manual doesn't give me the information I need. If I can get this single point explained, I'll be very happy with the software and glad to purchase it. ???

I also think that purchasers of the AnyRail program should get a discount on the TrainPlayer program since it is most likely they will only use it to run trains on their own track plan, and it is a good selling tool for the CAD program. Perhaps a package deal at the time of purchase. Other CADs have this tool installed ::) Thanks for any help.

Capt. Brigg
Pacific Cascade Ry
Capt. Brigg Franklin
USCG Licensed Marine Officer
ASA Certified Sailing Instructor
Certified crazy train chaser
Pacific Cascade Ry in HO

Future-Digital

It would be nice if TrainPlayer could be had at an additional discount, but they are written and sold by different people in different countries.

Did you know that in the US there are several model train magazines that regularly run TrainPlayer ads? Every once in a while there is a discount in one of those ads.

Further, if you watch the TrainPlayer site, they put up discounts from time to time, as well.

Good luck, and (tentatively) welcome.

Bill
"I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book." - Groucho Marx

David

Hi Capt. Brigg! Welcome to the forum.

As you can see in the picture below, the easement function creates a smooth transition from straight to a curve virtually touching a circle with a certain radius.

Normally, you would only go 15-30 degrees onto the circle (as indicated by the bold green line), and complete the rest of the circle with normally curved flex track.

I hope this helps.

David.
David Hoogvorst. Founder and Owner of DRail Software. Creator of AnyRail.

Capt. Brigg

Thanks for responding David.

So correct me if I am understanding wrong.
For a 90 degree 24" radius curve with easement to tangent track on both ends;
I would need to make a 15 degree 24" radius easement track section,
then two 30 degree 24" radius curved flex sections,
then a final 15 degree, 24" radius easement track section.
Also each curve in the track will need a 15 degree easement in and out. :o

When I draw these out on the layout,
I just use a long thin flexible piece of wood which works so much easier,
and automatically gives me easements.

Capt, Brigg
Capt. Brigg Franklin
USCG Licensed Marine Officer
ASA Certified Sailing Instructor
Certified crazy train chaser
Pacific Cascade Ry in HO