News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

Catenary eg Marklin z gauge

Started by Clivo, April 16, 2008, 12:31:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clivo

Hi David,

After perfecting the track layout, using the Anyrail software purchased from you, I now decide to add catenary - I am using Marklin z gauge items. I did this by cutting out strips of paper to the lengths of the catenary wires, both fixed length and adjustable (ie different lengths of paper). By overlaying on the printed out track plan (bending around ccurves), marking masts positions and towers, from Anyrail in 1:1 scale, I think I have at least planned the overhead system.

However, it comes to mind that if these items were in Anyrail, planning could be very much easier and efficient. Clearly, catenary masts, overhead towers and wires would be required. On curves, one would need to be able to 'bend' overhead wire lengths to fit a curve - unless an auto script connected a particular rail with the wire placed on it.

Any thoughts on this one? It could also be useful for any library of course.

Clivo.

David

Hi Clivo,

Yes, catenary is a story in itself. My own experience with it is that it is very difficult to put it up in such a way that you can run the engines with their pantographs up. I finally succeeded, more by trial and error than by real planning, as you have to zig-zag slightly above the track. Here and there you need to cut it to size.
Also, some creativity is required when entering tunnels or viaducts.

Above turnouts or slip switches it's also quite tricky at times.

I don't really agree with you to bend the catenary over the curves! In reality, it's always tightened in straight lines. For a model railroad, this means a few extra poles in the curves, to keep the catenary within the given limits to keep the pantograph nicely underneath it.

But indeed, I agree that adding catenary to AnyRail would be a good addition. I'll add it to our internal wish list!

Thanks,

David.

David Hoogvorst. Founder and Owner of DRail Software. Creator of AnyRail.