News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

Flex track curves

Started by bob hughes60, October 19, 2010, 08:08:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob hughes60

I am using PECO code 100 streamline flexitrack. I planned the stations-TEttenhall (WR branch station on Oxley-Kingswinford and Sedbergh on the Ingleton branch) for my layout.
Initially I will want return loops at both ends of my layout.
In the UK many of us use imperial Tracksetta templates I will use 18inch,(45.72cm)21inch (53.34cm),24inch (60.96cm)templates.
But what angle and radius should I be using to make a return loop on inside track (18inch curve) so it rejoins
the parallel track ? I am simply not seeing something here?
Any experts out there give me an example/examples?
Thanks in anticipation
Bob

David

Hi Bob,

Could you please post whatever you already have to make it clearer?

David
David Hoogvorst. Founder and Owner of DRail Software. Creator of AnyRail.

bob hughes60

Apologies I see why my post is confusing! I wish to add a reverse loop and another storage loop outside that at both ends of a layout in a garage. Extra loop requires turnouts and diamond.
So having played a bit I thnk I have a method. (grateful for views on ths).
Starting with the inner minimum radius of 18inch, 45.72 cm set curve flex to 90 degrees and radius 45.72.
This worked with a bit of fiddling near turnouts.
I then added 5cm giving a radious of 50.72 to do the outer loop.
This isn't quite right what is the exact metric distance for Peco code 100 streamline 00 track ??? To give parallel curves?
But it was close enough to give a nice outer curve.
So using a Tracksetta template I can build the inner reversing loop and stack loops outside of that at roughly 5cm centres  to give different radii.
It worked out like this.
Grateful for any comments as a newbie.

Jeff

I'm still not sure I understand the problem. If it's that the two loops don't nest properly, I think you have to complain to Peco. It it's that the Tracksetta templates don't fit the Peco track, then talk to Tracksetta. The answers would be the same if you just want to know what the right separation is. Personally, I don't think you'll get a lot of satisfaction out of either conversation. On the other hand, if your question is "What is the proper track spacing for parallel track loops in 00?", then I would consult the UK division of the NMRA, since the NMRA has done a boatload of research to set standards for such.

I think that the ideal solution is to use flex track for either the inner or outer loop, allowing you to set your own standard separation and enforce it. As we all know, the real practical separation depends a great deal on the size of carriages and engines, as well.
Later,                                                AnyRail Fanatic
Jeff                      and Unofficial Guy Who Knows Almost Everything About It

dale_the_noob

I think you are going about it the wrong way.

Use the inner radius of 18 inches. (You haven't used this, you've modified since creating the curve, the red lines shows this). Create a 90 degree curve of 45.72cm radius

Then measure between parrallel tracks and add this on to the the 45.72cm radius (According to hornby its 6.7cm, not the 5cm you were using).

So add an outer curve with a radius of 52.42cm.

Repeat this for both to complete 180 degrees. Then add in a 85 degree curve matching the radiuses again.

Then add a curve of 75 degrees the other way. You will need to switch the radiuses over to keep them parrallel

You should be left with a return loop that is meeting at 10 degrees and just needs some straight flex to complete.

You need to use something like the Peco 6' way gauge to keep the tracks parrallel, you can't use the Tracksettas for both sets of tracks, use it for one and then use the peco gauge or similar to make the additional track parrallel

musicnut01

I have been trying to curve flex track. every time  I angle 90 and radius 26 and then attach it to my plan the curve turns red or orange. HELP

David

This means the flex is stretched longer than the length it comes in.
You can switch this warning off on the SETTINGS tab.

If that's not it, you've curved it tighter than the minimum radiuses. Also on the SETTINGS tab.
David Hoogvorst. Founder and Owner of DRail Software. Creator of AnyRail.