News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

My Effort

Started by ozcyclops, April 27, 2008, 09:42:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozcyclops

Hi everyone,
Just wanted to say that I absolutely love this software. It is just so easy to use, all the main components are here and the learning curve isnt at all steep

Anyway, here is my layout. I have a room about 10x10 or thereabouts, but with some obstacles. The plan is a basic, single track branch line (shown in light blue), coming off a mainline somewhere off the board. It merges with a freight only line (red), and runs almost parallel for a short distance, before the freight line moves off down hill and eventually under the branch line. On the western (left) side, there is a substantial marshalling yard (yellow), and behind that on a higher piece of ground is a loco servicing facility dark blue). The layout will be set somewhere around the period where steam was moving out of favour. There will still be a number of steam engines in use, but there will also be some early diesel railcars running around the branch.

Your comments and recommendations will be appreciated.

Shane

David

Hi Shane,

Looks good! I like the story that goes with it as well. Each element has a clear purpose.

A few questions though:
- Why does the freight line go all the way back round (dotted track)? You could just connect it at the top and let trains wait a bit while in the hidden area. It's a bit cheaper and simpler. On the other hand, if you keep the hidden loop, I would probably double the track so that trains can pass each other there.

- In the busy top left corner, you might not be able to stretch far enough to reach everything. Maybe you should leave a 60x60cm opening for emergencies!

- Are you planning for a duck-under? That might be acceptable for you, but with the layout I once had I regretted that deeply. I myself got tired of getting in and out of the train room, and visitors sometimes didn't feel comfortable going on all fours! I would try and find a way to create a bridge or something that you can simply open, or a part that you can take out.

David.
David Hoogvorst. Founder and Owner of DRail Software. Creator of AnyRail.

ozcyclops

Thanks David for the reply. The hidden track is also a hidden fiddle yard, and will allow me to model longer, through-running freight trains, as well as a local pick up. I don't want a double track freight line, as I want to keep a slightly rural atmosphere to the layout. I already have the track so that isn't an issue.  The upper left corner is an outward opening door, so access is OK there. You are right about a duck-under, but its all I can do for the moment.

Shane

David

Hi Shane,

For the double track I was thinking about the hidden area, not the visible part. You wouldn't lose the rural feeling in that case. Talking rural, could you tell a bit more about the scenery you have in mind?

David.
David Hoogvorst. Founder and Owner of DRail Software. Creator of AnyRail.

ozcyclops

Yes, well, I am a long way from scenery just yet, but it will be in the order of rolling hills, so I can have lots of small bridges, culverts, cuttings and hills. I hate flat scenery, unless it is in a cityscape environment. The only things I want for sure is a 500-800mm bridge/viaduct where the two loops run parallel for a short while on the lower left of the plan. The branch line will be a little higher than the mashalling yard, and the loco servicing facility will be higher still.

By the way, I have updated the plan with some minor changes - attached

shane

kimbo

Looking real good, with plenty of operational interest!
Kim
Living in: Brussels, Belgium
AnyRail user since: 26/12/2007
Dream layout: HO freelance layout set in an imaginary European country bordering to Belgium, Germany, and Netherlands
Personal site: http://kimmetje.rpgnewworlds.net