News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

Visible "Hidden" track

Started by Jeff, January 21, 2011, 12:23:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I laid this track and was doing some repositioning on some of it when I noticed that track previously marked as Hidden had re-appeared. No idea why...
Later,                                                AnyRail Fanatic
Jeff                      and Unofficial Guy Who Knows Almost Everything About It

Steve Raiford

Jeff

I tried to duplicate your problem with hidden track and could not.

By any chance was this layout created in a version prior to what you currently have installed, or was it opened at any time with a Beta version? Information about the history of the file may help David with solution.

Steve Raiford

Steve Raiford

Jeff

Steve,

Yeah, it was created and opened in v2093. It seems to have been a transient problem. After several cycles of opening and closing AR, it went away and I haven't had it reappear. I'm considering it closed.
Jeff                      and Unofficial Guy Who Knows Almost Everything About It

Steve Raiford

Jeff

Glad you found the issue. Personally I only work on junk or test files with beta software. The risk of issues like you just encountered are just too high.

Steve
Steve Raiford

Jeff

I didn't find the issue. Or I should say I didn't find the reason. I know that re-sizing the track will clear it sometimes or disconnecting/reconnecting. I now see it reoccur every once in a while. Could it be a Windows driver redraw problem (or any number of Windows issues)? Certainly. All I know is that it still happens once in a while, but the above workaround clears it. I can't make it happen, so I intend to ignore it, since it's so minor.

steamfreight

Hi I am having this problem (in reverse !) with increasing frequency, either when moving a section of track and a host of sections dissapear off the end of sidings 6 feet away or I add  a piece and it vanishes.

Where the rails have 'dissapeared' the still visible rail ends still show as connected to something, I am currently working on quite a large layout and this is becoming something of a disruptive issue.

Any further thoughts on this would be much appreciated, Jim

Future-Digital

Check on different layers. Sometimes when things are on different layers they can "hide" themselves by inadvertent handling. I am constantly having this problem, and when I find something on a different layer from where it should have been I just click on it and send it to the correct layer.

Bill
"I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book." - Groucho Marx

steamfreight

Been through the layers, it is one thing when adding something, but when moving a section of track, and the ends of sidings, multiple sections away, some 6ft away at that get cropped at similar connections horizontally on the screen, I cannot get them back.

ctrl-Z will undo the dissapearing if noticed soon enough but when zoomed in on another area to work I d not want to undo countless edits to get it back.

Jim

steamfreight

Also the fact that an undo can redisplay the vanishing but still connected track tends to indicate to me that it is not a windows refresh problem, Jim

steamfreight

One part of the missing track is a passing loop, if I disconnect  the end attached to visible track and then move it other track associated with the truncated passing loop is moved as well. in other words it appears that graphically unconnected track is moved.

This means that the track connection graphic of a circle is correct and the data structure in which connectivity is stored still recognises the connection as valid, all that is missing is the graphic representing the track.

Come on boffins, what's up  ???

steamfreight

Further info.

Two copies of AnyRail open, one with file version 20 (all ok)  and another with version 21 (the cropped track one).

1) delete by elastic banding the whole area including where the hidden track is in v21
2) from v20 I copy the whole section of track work affected
3) paste the track from v20 into v21, ok so far
4) connect it to the feeder branchline and instantly the ends of the sidings and a passing loop all dissapear again.
5) Undo the connection and all back again
6) Delete the section of track I connected the pasted track to.
7) Lay a replacement piece of track and connect the pasted track to it and all is as it should be.

Anymore clues at AnyRail ?

David

I think that in one of the copies of AnyRail you've set the 'Height in view' differently. These settings are on the 'Home' tab.

Here, you can set the upper and lower (vertical) limit of what is displayed.

David.
David Hoogvorst. Founder and Owner of DRail Software. Creator of AnyRail.

steamfreight

Hi David,

the initial problems all happened in the original v20, I was trying the copy/paste to another copy of the same file (ie v21)  I just made as a workaround but made no difference until the piece of track the whole group of sidings were connected to at the end of the branch line was deleted and replaced with a new piece.

Jim

David

Can you make a screenshot of the situation?

David.
David Hoogvorst. Founder and Owner of DRail Software. Creator of AnyRail.

steamfreight