News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

Assigning heights

Started by RhB_HJ, March 02, 2011, 09:13:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RhB_HJ

Hi David,

I assembled a Figure 8 with the KATO concrete double track. The short pieces at the lower end I locked at "0", the ones at the summit are locked at +50mm.

First problem: Selection all the track from "0" to "+50" (of course each side separately) will not activate "smooth slope".
Second problem: The program will assign the max. grade.  Check the different values in the plan.

Next I tried it with single track, that worked with no problem.
Using enough shorter track pieces should even allow a more gradual vertical transitions (easement) at the top. Yeah, that was the plan and then things went funny, as you can see in the second file.

The way I see it .... shouldn't one be able to select the starting point of a grade, add all the elements through to the finish point and let the program calculate the grade as "smooth"? Either according to height assigned to the start and finish, or as a percentage with just the height of the starting point being given.

The third plan uses flex track, vertical easement will still take extra work.

Having vertical easements (same principal as easement curves) would be very nice.  ;) 8) 8)
Hans-Joerg Mueller
Coldstream, BC   Canada

http://www.rhb-grischun.ca

My train videos

Win7Pro 64bit; 8 GB RAM; i5 2.67GHz; 1920x1080 22" display

David

Yes, we're working on the smooth gradient for double plated track.

Easements for elevated track are a bit more complicated. I'll put it on the list of things to think about.

David.
David Hoogvorst. Founder and Owner of DRail Software. Creator of AnyRail.

Jeff

It actually gets even more complicated when you think about the vertical situation. Most people aren't aware that prototype railroads will put STEEPER grades at the beginning of a hill and then ease the rest. This puts the engines up on a milder grade, so they can get better traction, without having to drag the entire train up a steeper grade.
Later,                                                AnyRail Fanatic
Jeff                      and Unofficial Guy Who Knows Almost Everything About It

Steve Raiford

At this time I have no suggestions for any changes to slope or grade functions, but I will add my two cents worth.

Since I do use double track on vertical grades, I ultimately found, as noted by others, that trying to use the program to establish grades just didn't work for me. It was easier to do it the old fashioned way with a calculator and piece of paper.

While everyone is thinking of this, the other fact I want to establish in your minds  is that in the modeling world vertical easement is a very important consideration. Personally I would advocate vertical easement is more important than horizontal easement. If the change in vertical slope is not taken into consideration, it is very easy to create a situation where trains will uncouple unexpectedly.

Failure to take into account vertical easement probably is the mistake I see most often made by modelers when building a new layout. 

When enhancements are anticipated for slope and grade, figuring out a way of establishing and specifying vertical easement should be high on the list.

Steve Raiford
Steve Raiford

WillYart

Bump.  Considering using Anyrail to design my layout.  Is there a way to do vertical easements?

Also I tried the demo and it looks like easements cannot be 180 degrees, max is 60.  Is there some issue I'm unaware of?

RhB_HJ

Welcome to the AR forum!

No vertical easement.

Why would you need a 180º easement? I usually use something between 7º and 15º.
Hans-Joerg Mueller
Coldstream, BC   Canada

My train videos

PaulB

Will,
  Welcome to AR.

If you search, you will find discussions about easements with examples attached.

I find that the smaller the radius of the curve, the longer the easement needs to be (in relation to the overall length of the curve). So for anything under 20" radius, I go with 15 degrees for easements on both ends. for larger radius curves, I go with about 10 degrees for easements on both ends.

Paul
Paul
CEO of the PB&J RR

glakedylan

greetings all!

I think that easements could be chosen in a helpful way by working with the geometry of the manufactured track you may be using. As I am using Atlas Code 55 and the #5 turnouts have a frog angle (I hope that is the correct term) of 11.25 degrees...I keep it simple with all 11.25 degree easements in that area of the plan.

In places where the plan used #7 turnouts the geometry becomes 8.17 degrees...for #10 turnouts it is 5.71 degrees.

In this paradigm, #5 turnouts are placed in areas where radius is 15-20"...#7 turnouts in areas of 20.25-26"...#10 turnouts in 26.25-30". So it all works fine, atleast in AR.

Now, of course, PECO track would change those numbers accordingly...as will others, making it a standard 10 degrees throughout. But, then, I like to make things more complicated...just consider it one of my personality nuances! ;-)

Respectfully,
Gary L Lake Dillensnyder

P.S. my short term memories is hindered in illness...but I do recall somewhere along the line one of the gurus here recommending same degree as turnouts used. just can't remember who or when and if that suggestion/recommendation still stands. :-)

RhB_HJ

Gary that scheme works, BUT 10º is more or less the median point. When going up or going down it is best to invert the frog values.
Hans-Joerg Mueller
Coldstream, BC   Canada

My train videos

glakedylan

HJ...that is good advise!...as always! most appreciated!
Gary

WillYart

Thanks folks; I naively assumed that I could use a "nothing but easement" curve to go from straights into a U-turn, but that's impossible since that would be a parabola, which never has straight edges.

After reading this discussion: http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3396, I'm thinking I'd better use an informal easement.

glakedylan

Quote from: WillYart on August 07, 2012, 03:05:04 AM
Thanks folks; I naively assumed that I could use a "nothing but easement" curve to go from straights into a U-turn, but that's impossible since that would be a parabola, which never has straight edges.

WillYart??? the AR easement for curves provides a modified radius curve into straight. What radius are you using and in what scale?

Respectfully,
Gary L Lake Dillensnyder

WillYart

Dear Mr. Dillensnyder, TT scale, radius 15".  Thanks.  See attached image; not sure what to put in "?" area.  Maybe I need to read more about easements.  I've read the Anyrail tutorial, and the NMRA stuff.

glakedylan

WillYart

Might I suggest that you start at POINT A working toward POINTS B and C
rather than having B and C and working toward what would be A?

In this attached AR File I simply used flex track to make 15" radius in various
degrees of curve: 45, 35. Then added to each end an easement of 10 degrees
in the same 15" radius.

To those easements I added the straight tracks.

I hope this provides a solution for you.

Respectfully,
Gary L Lake Dillensnyder

WillYart

Thanks Gary, I see; I may do something like this, clearly I don't have space a long easements.  Nice to have the AnyRail file!